Page 4 - Prospectus
P. 4

History of Our School


                  The Royal School Cavan is one of six Ulster royal schools which were founded during the reign
                  of King James. The school received its charter in 1608 and the first headmaster was appointed
                  in 1611. His name was John Robinson and he was to begin an era of over 400 years of providing
                  education in Cavan. During the first two centuries the school had to survive through many political
                  and social upheavals. The school had a somewhat nomadic existence until 1819, when it secured
                  a permanent location in Lurganboy. The school was a purpose- built building designed by the
                  famous architect of the time Francis Johnson who also designed Dublin’s G.P.O. In 1924, the
                  school became only the second co-educational boarding school in Ireland. It is under Protestant
                  management and is managed by the Cavan Protestant Local Board of Education.
                  The school has seen extensive modernisation in recent years. This has enabled the school to grow
                  in numbers while providing the facilities required in a modern school. There are currently 240
                  students in the school. As the school approaches its fifth century of providing education to the
                  community it is the intention of the Board, Senior Management and all Staff members to uphold
                  and enhance the school’s reputation in academic excellence as well as educating our students
                  within a Christian ethos.






                 “Maxmising the life chances of all our students by making them work-ready,
                                     life-ready and ready for further learning”









                                                                                                                3
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9